Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Structure Repair Engineer (Contract)
at Airbus Group
- 12-Feb-2020 to 28-Feb-2020 (EST)
- AA10003047 - SEO Maintenance Operations
- Wichita, KS, USA
Airbus is an international pioneer in the aerospace industry. We are a leader in designing, manufacturing and delivering aerospace products, services and solutions to customers on a global scale. We aim for a better-connected, safer and more prosperous world.
A commercial aircraft manufacturer, with Space and Defence as well as Helicopters Divisions, Airbus is the largest aeronautics and space company in Europe and a worldwide leader.
Airbus has built on its strong European heritage to become truly international with roughly 180 locations and 12,000 direct suppliers globally. The company has aircraft and helicopter final assembly lines across Asia, Europe and the Americas, and has achieved a more than sixfold order book increase since 2000.
Works in the 'Repair Solutions' group, which is in charge of providing airlines and Maintenance and Repair Organizations (MRO's) with all appropriate instructions to repair aircraft and damaged structural parts while taking into account airworthiness requirements and operator time constraints.
Works as part of a team of repair engineers based in Toulouse (France), Beijing (China), Sepang (Malaysia) and Wichita (USA). Each engineer is responsible for the management of a variety of repair topics covering all structural ATAs for all airbus commercial aircraft.
The ability to collaborate across cultures, languages and time zones with a diverse customer base (both airlines and MRO's) and Airbus teams is a key aspect to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Daily repair queries management
- Analyze customer queries related to structural damages against the Airbus Structural Repair Manual (SRM), if beyond limits manage the repair for efficient treatment by the relevant engineering design office.
- Provide answers to customers' daily repair queries related to design and documentation in liaison with partner design offices.
- Maintain a strong interaction with the Repair Solutions team across all regions.
- Adhere to the 'Follow the Sun' working principles, and follow the Airbus processes in place for the Repair Solutions activity
- Liaise with Design Offices to ensure requested repair definitions and justifications are provided on time with the required level of quality.
- Collaborate and liaise closely with Airbus Spares/Satair to ensure that all repair solutions take into account the availability of parts for each repair.
- Initiate updating of structure repair documentation with the SRM (Structural Repair manual) organization.
- Ensure information flow to and from operators for repair matters.
- Ensure transfer of in-service experience and maintenance activities to management, to other divisions of Customer Services and Airbus design organization including vendors.
- Use of the TechRequest tool to keep records of technical queries, answers and exchanges with all involved parties.
- Participate in Daily Operational Meeting through escalation of any topic that becomes critical.
- Liaise closely with Airbus Customer Support Directors and the Field Service community to ensure alignment on sensitive topics.
- Adhere to agreed internal quality guidelines.
- Identify and follow up on damages related to potential safety critical items.
- On-site assistance and Support to Major Repair activities
- Assist operators on-site for structural damage evaluation or repair work performance, as required in the Americas.
- Identify any dossier that may require a complex repair or modification assistance and ensure a smooth transfer to the Major Repair team for follow-up (Embodimentfirstname.lastname@example.org).
- Customer experience enhancement and Repair Solutions marketing
- Organize a monthly review (Webex) with the N.A operator under your responsibility.
- Participate to customer visits and regular business review, and be the Voice of Repair Solutions
- Strengthen the relationship with customers and other US-based business entities for repair activities, and capitalize on every opportunity to promote repair solutions activity to internal and external customers.
Qualified Experience / Skills / Training:
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and bill of material
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical documentation (SRM, SB, IPC...)
- Knowledge of maintenance repair practices, equipment and ways of working
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing to teams and business partners worldwide.
- Ability to present and discuss at Management and Working level within Airbus and to Customers in case of reporting / escalation / etc.
- Proven high motivation and flexibility to work in a highly demanding environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to lead and work with multidisciplinary teams in various locations
- Autonomous, ability to take initiative.
- Works well in a collaborative team environment.
- Present a professional appearance as generally accepted in the business and aerospace environment.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with a diverse international work force.
- Flexibility to be available on very short notice for travel worldwide.
- Ability to provide on-site assistance for periods between 3 days to several weeks
- Experience providing internal / external technical training is a plus
Unique Position Details:
- Close collaboration with Airbus Technical AOG Centre (AIRTAC) to ensure a continuous follow up of highly sensitive and financially impacting repairs.
- Support customers occasionally at their home base to address more complex repair issues;
- Specific shift pattern during weekdays and week-end/public holidays coverage
- Answers to customer written queries: about 500 per year
- Repair files: about 200 per year
- Manage technical assistance on site with the customer: at least 3-5 times per year
- Week-end coverage if required to support
- Yearly travel days: about 5 to 10 subject to customer / project requirements
Education/ Special qualification:
- Qualified engineer with 5 years experience in an airline/OEM/MRO environment, with knowledge of aircraft structure (design, fatigue, materials...) and structural repairs
- General technical and practical education in Aviation: Bachelor of Science/Engineering (BSc/BEng )degree or equivalent. Mechanical aptitude
- ~10 % Domestic and International travel, subject to additional based on customer / project requirements
Authorized to Work in the US
This position is a temporary (contract) position with no specific time period but could be extended or shortened as needed. Contractors are employed by a 3rd party vendor and placed on assignment to Airbus in America.
Airbus in America provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status or other legally protected status. In addition to federal law requirements, Airbus in America complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, demotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, benefits and training.
Airbus in America expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status or other legally protected status. Improper interference with the ability of Airbus' employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
As a matter of policy, Airbus does not sponsor visas for US positions unless specified. Only applicants with current work authorization will be considered.