Arizona State University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
WEB AND GRAPHIC DESIGN SPECIALIST
at Arizona State University
Web and Graphic Design Specialist
Arizona State University
Herberger Inst Design & Arts
The ASU Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts is seeking a creative and innovative Web and Graphic Design Specialist to design, update and maintain digital media, web pages and websites for the largest, most comprehensive design and arts college in America. With close to 5,400 majors and programs ranked top 20 in art, design, music, theatre, digital culture, film, dance and more, plus a top university art museum, a leading immersive media facility, and national and international partnerships, the Herberger Institute is a powerhouse of art, culture and design.
The vision of the Herberger Institute is to advance the New American University by embedding designers, artists and arts-based inquiry at its core and throughout the communities it serves locally, nationally and internationally. With over 5,399 students, over 500 faculty members, and 130 program options The Herberger Institute is committed to redefining the 21st-century design and arts school.
As part of Arizona State University, the most innovative university in the nation, The Herberger Institute seeks to drive and scale new ways for arts and design to have impact in our world. We invite you to join our work.
The Web and Graphic Design Specialist serves as a versatile designer for the ASU Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts communications and marketing department. This specialist actively engages in and leads conceptualization, development, project/process management and implementation of online/web/digital media projects, creative media and some print, for the Institute, its five schools (the Schools of Art; Arts, Media and Engineering; Film, Dance and Theatre; Music; The Design School) and the ASU Art Museum.
Depends on experience
- Utilizes various web coding languages, graphic design software and design methods to design, build, implement and maintain a variety of web pages, websites, digital media, printed materials, environmental graphics and branding elements to support the mission, focus and brand of the ASU Herberger Institute.
- Redesigns existing websites and web pages using industry best-practices for usability, cross-browser compatibility and user interface design.
- Reviews content for accuracy and quality of information.
- Provides direction to internal and external web related designers as to modifications or changes in graphic design look and standards.
- Maintains competitive analysis of other sites and advises on opportunities for further enhancement and development of web pages.
- Serves as a contact between the marketing and communications department and all academic disciplines or other departments that require presence on the website.
- Provides input on how best to translate copy and graphics direction from other media to the website.
- Works with IT departments to provide continuity of technical implementation for the website. Troubleshoots potential web page problems.
- Collaborate with communications team, to research and find web solutions.
- Communicate design ideas to developers
- Designs and builds email marketing campaigns.
- Develops new or updates existing ideas; demonstrates advanced knowledge of design, typography, and composition.
- Responsible for achieving uniformity of information and graphic standards per specified branding goals.
- Familiar with web analytics and reporting, SEO and UX/UI.
- In this role, you should be an analytical and creative designer who is able to grasp user needs and solve problems.
- Meets with project constituents to understand the scope of the project.
- Defines project tasks, responsibilities and outcomes; documents activities and tracks progress.
- Maintains accurate records of work in progress for department.
- Manages multiple projects and deadlines with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail. Gives accurate time estimates for work and adheres to timelines and deadlines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and collaborate with different teams.
- Effective communication, verbal and written
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Design thinking
- Creative and analytical approach
- A learning mindset
- Understand and analyze metrics and have the ability to make data-driven decisions in order to meet goals and objectives.
- Front-end web design.
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Create wireframes
- Design for web integration of social media platforms such as; Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Medium (blog) and others
- Design for email marketing and knowledge of best practices for creative, cross-platform communications
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design or related field AND four (4) years experience in graphic design and/or website design; OR, Eight (8) years experience in graphic design and/or website design; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge in analyzing metrics and experience in making data-driven decisions in order to meet goals and objectives.
- Evidence of handling and analyzing both qualitative and quantitative data.
- Evidence of understanding user-centric design and interaction design principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge of responsive web design and web usability best practices, UX and information architecture (omni platform).
- Demonstrated evidence of design for email marketing and knowledge of best practices for creative, cross-platform communications
- Evidence of illustration skills – digital or by hand a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge of ASU brand standards a plus
Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse (75%); frequently required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work (25).
Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions.
Calculator, telephone, computer (monitor, keyboard and mouse), printer, fax and copier. This position receives general review of objectives.
Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts, with 4,700+ students, nearly 400 faculty members, 125 program options and a tradition of top-ranked programs, we are committed to redefining the 21st-century design and arts school.
Mission: To position designers, artists, scholars and educators at the center of public life and prepare them to use their creative capacities to advance culture, build community and imaginatively address today’s most pressing challenges.
Vision:To advance the New American University by embedding designers, artists and arts-based inquiry at its core and throughout the communities it serves locally, nationally and internationally.
- Creativity as a core 21st-century competency.
- Design and the arts as critical resources for transforming our society.
- Innovation, enterprise and entrepreneurship.
- Interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary collaboration and research.
- Social embeddedness.
- Projecting all voices.
Why work @ASU - https://cfo.asu.edu/why-work-asu
Total compensation at ASU is defined as more than the salary paid for the valuable work performed to support the success of our ASU students.
Salary and wages paid
Comprehensive package of affordable benefit plans and programs
Access to world-class educational opportunities at deeply discounted rates
ASU's total compensation estimator shows the approximate value of your overall compensation
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ see Req Id# 56840BR
To review the official HR listing please visit the link below.
Another window will open and allow you to review this listing and application process.
If another window does not open, it may be blocked by a popup blocker. Simultaneously press the CTRL button on your keyboard and click the link again.