Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,400 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Discover business insights, identify opportunities and provide solutions and recommendations to solve business problems through the use of statistical, algorithmic, data mining and visualization techniques.
- Under close supervision, conduct predictive analyses for population health management, marketing campaign management and forecasting,
- Analyze and design solutions using healthcare data
- Work with datasets of varying degrees of size and complexity including both structured and unstructured data
- Analyze and mine multiple data sources to select statistically valid data samples
- Build, test and implement machine learning models by investigating appropriate methods and algorithms
- Develop analytical datasets and transform fields from data sources as necessary for modeling
- Work with other departments to develop research plans to match company goals
- Strategize on approaches to develop robust and meaningful analytics
- Prepare and co-present reports of model performance and business recommendations
- Assist internal departments with interpretation of results based on the models
- Pursue expansion of current knowledge and skills
- Under general supervision conduct predictive analyses for population health management, marketing campaign management and forecasting,
- Display initiative in research beyond the specific assignment
- Develop proprietary machine learning algorithms to build customized solutions
- Prepare and present reports of model performance and business recommendations
- Lead consultations with internal departments with interpretation of results based on the models
- Demonstrate good communication skills in order to directly communicate at a consumer level with internal clients
- Partner with peers to establish, evaluate, and continually improve measurement methodologies, while adhering to nationally accepted analytic and reporting standards
- Serve as an internal technical and analytic consultant to define business questions and transform data into meaningful and actionable information within a specified timeframe
- Meaningfully contribution to the area’s workload, considering volume and complexity
- Pursue expansion of current knowledge and skills
- Provide self- and peer-review of Level 1
- Report to a manager who provides minimal supervisory instructions, limited project management, and minimal or limited review of results, beyond pre-release peer review
- Along with research, create analyses and recommendations that will allow BCBSAZ to meet its goals
- Deliver business intelligence to clients by applying and demonstrating expertise in the areas of advanced analytics, machine learning, forecasting, data wrangling, and predictive modeling
- Plan and lead complex projects from inception to completion. Includes working independently on creating timelines, working with other areas to define deliverables, monitoring progress, implementing the project and resolving/monitoring post-implementation issues
- Communicate (both verbally and in writing) and interprets results, recommendations and abstract concepts to internal and external customers. Anticipate and addresses possible customer questions and concerns
- Build and maintain close working relationships with internal stakeholders (Account Management teams, Health Services, Provider Network, Marketing, Underwriting, Actuarial, IT) and key external client contacts (Brokers/GBAs, BCBS Association, Blues Plans, Vendors)
- Produce complex analytic solutions
- Incorporate strategic planning in all areas of responsibility
- Train and mentor other data scientists and provide peer review
- Each progressive level includes the ability to perform the essential functions of any lower levels and mentor employees in those levels.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.