City of Laredo, TX
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Utlity Systems Mechanic, (A204220-4), R25, Wastewater Collection
at City of Laredo, TX
- Job Summary
- Please note that due to the recent COVID-19 impact, there may be delays in the selection process.
Checks and performs all scheduled and unscheduled maintenance and repair on water and sanitary sewer main lines and the various conveyance and control mechanisms to ensure service interruption to citizens is minimized.
- Job Description
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of safety procedures.
- Knowledge of line maintenance.
- Knowledge of repair techniques for water lines, broken pipes, sewer taps, and other related plumbing skills.
- Knowledge of plumbing and mechanical equipment repair.
- Knowledge of preventive maintenance and repair of water and sanitary sewer main lines.
- Knowledge of all procedures and practices relating to water and sanitary sewer line repairs.
- Ability to use gasoline and electrical powered hand tools.
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical equipment maintenance manuals.
- Ability to make independent decisions in accordance with established polices and procedures.
- Ability to maintain good planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to take and follow directions from supervisor.
- Ability to give directions to and gain compliance from assigned staff.
- Ability to perform strenuous and routine work.
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good driving record.
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with other employees and respond to general public complaints.
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the City of Laredo.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing in the English or Spanish language.
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the position.
- Ability to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and procedures.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed inside and/or outside a stockroom or warehouse. Work may be exposed to a variety of weather conditions and outdoor elements, such as: excessive dampness, chill, heat, humidity, intermittent noise, and inclement cold weather. Work may be exposed to a variety of environmental conditions, such as: unknown & dangerous conditions, unusual environmental stress, contagious infectious disease, irritating chemicals, life-threatening situations, dry atmosphere, dust, constant noise, pneumatic vibration, fumes, smoke, gases, radiant/electrical energy, and slippery/uneven walking surfaces. Capable of working closely with others, working long or irregular working hours, working shift work and/or weekends, working with protective devices, working below ground, working on ladders or scaffolding, working around moving objects or vehicles, working around machines with moving parts and objects, and working with hands in water. Ability to operate a motor vehicle and mechanical equipment; Work requires light to heavy carrying and lifting (under 15 pounds up to 45 pounds and over), straight pulling, pulling hand over hand, simple grasping, dual simultaneous grasping, repeated bending, sitting, standing, pushing, crouching, crawling, twisting, kneeling, stooping, climbing stairs and ladders, walking, and reaching above shoulders. Ability to see, write, read, count, identify shade of colors, perceive depth, and hearing is needed to perform the essential functions of this job.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs preventive maintenance and minor repairs including replacing belts, oil seals and bearings, light bulbs, blown fuses, small electric motors, electrical outlets, etc.
- Maintains and repairs all equipment utilized in the daily field operations.
- Reports all failures to the immediate supervisor.
- Keeps records of all equipment serviced and replaced; maintains parts inventory; orders parts and supplies.
- Carries out the City's Customer Service Plan.
- Assists in maintaining good communication between staff, visitors, and other business contacts.
- Must follow all rules of telephone courtesy in all telephone communications.
- Will be required to drive a City vehicle for City business use.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
High School Diploma or G.E.D.
At least one (1) year of experience as a laborer or general maintenance experience.
At least two (2) years of experience as a laborer or general maintenance experience.
- Valid Licenses and Certifications
Valid Texas Driver License*
*If applicant holds an out-of-state license, a State of Texas Driver License must be obtained prior to employment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered employment.
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to employment.
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human Resources Department at (956) 791-7482 two days prior to the scheduled interview and/or test if applicable."AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."