County of Bernalillo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Technician
at County of Bernalillo
- Position Summary & Duties Responsible
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties that may be performed by employees in this classification. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Performs a variety of technical duties in support of the County's Geographical Information System and its users. Creates and maintains maps and other geographic source data in both spatial and tabular form for use by County departments and other public agencies, consultants, and contractors; provides technical support to county staff including troubleshooting and software installation; creates and maintains assigned aspects of the GIS database; generates maps and reports.
This is the para-professional/technical class in the Geographic Information System (GIS) series. Positions in this class are distinguished from the Geographic Information Systems Analyst in that the incumbents in the Geographic Information Systems Analyst series perform professional level work in the creation and manipulation of databases and the analysis and application of spatial data.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Incumbents at this level work under direction from an assigned supervisor or manager.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following. Incumbents assigned to the GIS Technician classification perform the following duties:
- Develop, analyze and implement GIS applications in support of County GIS functions; process, prepare, and convert maps and other data and enter information into the GIS application; create, maintain, and assist with the documentation of GIS spatial layers. Maintains and updates tabular data within the GIS, for purposes specific to assigned department.
- Assist in the development and implementation of GIS data structure and database design, Metadata standards for GIS data, and quality assurance/control methodologies for GIS data sets.
- Prepare digital and/or hardcopy cartographic products and reports; develop, update, and publish maps at various scales and for various purposes, including utility, zoning, reference, topographic, political boundary, property and/or parcel maps to ensure that maps are current.
- Assist and train staff members in the operation of online GIS applications and software, the query and display of geographic data and other GIS related questions.
- Research and/or interpret legal descriptions; searches recorded deeds and surveys to determine correct locations and descriptions of properties and ensure accurate boundaries and other details within the County's GIS database.
- Perform routine backups, installations, upgrades and/or other hardware/software support activities.
- Coordinate with other County departments, as well as various State and District agencies that utilize the County GIS and/or provide mapping related data in order to ensure the GIS digitized data is accurate and up to date.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
Associate's Degree in geographic information systems, cartography, geography, drafting, civil engineering or a related field plus three (3) years of experience in geographic information systems; OR any related combination of education from an accredited college or university or related experience totaling five (5) years experience in geographic information systems. Related education and experience may substitute for the required education and experience and may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
- Supplemental Information
1. Employee must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination and background investigation.
2. Employee may need a valid New Mexico driver's license by employment date and maintain a valid NM driver's license while employed in this position.
3. Employee must comply with the safety guidelines of the County.Knowledge Of:
- GIS concepts and automated drafting and mapping tools and programs.
- Principles of algebra, geometry and trigonometry related to the computation of distances, angles, and areas.
- Data maintenance and conversion techniques
- Principles and practices of and systems quality assurance and control, technical problem solving and recordkeeping.
- Principles and practices of effective customer service.
- Modern office procedures, methods and equipment and personal computer operating systems.
- Automated drafting and mapping tools and programs including ArcGIS, IS Geodatabase, Mapping Standards, AutoCAD software, CAMA System and other ESRI-based GIS software and its applications (ArcSDE, ArcView, etc.).
- Data maintenance and conversion techniques
- Relevant statutes, ordinances, codes, rules and procedures related to mapping, including zoning, special districts, and/or election precinct mapping.
- Utilize editing and mapping tools with ArcGIS in order to prepare maps, accurately delineating feature locations and boundaries, perform mathematical computations and estimates and visualize spatial relationships.
- Read and interpret surveys, legal descriptions, maps, and aerial photographs; interpret, apply, and explain applicable laws and regulations
- Maintain accurate records of work performed
- Prioritize multiple tasks and complete work assignments in a timely manner.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, the public, and others encountered in the course of work.
- Competently use various GIS related software and computer applications in order to locate, input, and adjust spatial and tabular data.
- Independently research sources of geographic spatial and tabular data for GIS usage, through the use of the internet and other sources; collect, interpret, convert, and integrate data from different sources in order to prepare maps.
- Communicate clearly and concisely with others, both orally and in writing
COUNTY OF BERNALILLO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER