County of Bernalillo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Information Technology Analyst II - Application Development
at County of Bernalillo
- Position Summary & Duties Responsible
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in this classification. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Under direction, performs professional duties related to the analysis, development, maintenance and administration of computer hardware and software systems to meet business needs. Incumbents may perform any of the following functions: monitors and administers servers and related platforms; maintains, configures and monitors network and/or telecommunications infrastructures and related system components; consults with departmental customers to identify and analyze business functions that can be improved by the implementation of new hardware and/or software solutions; translates business requirements into system deployments; performs professional-level systems maintenance and customer support duties; programs with object-oriented languages; may serve as a project manager over routine systems-related projects that are small to medium in size, and require limited staff and resources; and performs other related duties as assigned.
This is the journey-level class in the Information Technology Analyst series. Positions in this class are distinguished from the Information Technology Analyst I by the performance of the full range of duties. Incumbents at this level work under direction, receiving occasional supervision while working toward a definite objective that requires use of a wide range of procedures and involves planning and/or determining specific procedures or equipment required in order to meet assigned objectives and solve non-routine problems. Only unusual matters are referred to a supervisor.
This class is distinguished from the class of Information Technology Analyst III in that the latter classification is responsible for performing complex level support, architectural/system design, and/or advanced professional duties that may include coordinating/administering projects that are moderate to large in size and scope, requiring the support of multiple staff and the procurement/utilization of significant resources.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Analyzes, plans, determines requirements, designs, builds, customizes, tests, implements, maintains and/or enhances a variety of hardware and software systems.
- Provides professional customer support for system-related software and/or hardware issues, needs, or requirements; interacts with clients to analyze system requirements; recommends technology solutions to improve operations.
- Prepares technical documentations, procedural plans, reports, correspondence and other documents.
- Serves as main client interface on assigned technology projects which are small to medium in size, and require limited staff and resources; reviews recommendations with clients and receives approval to proceed; coordinates project activities with vendors and internal technology staff; maintains effective communications with users regarding vendor activities, problems, status, timelines and other details; ensures compliance with County specifications and drives resolution of project related issues; monitors project budget and scope to ensure they remain within agreed upon parameters; reviews final outcomes with clients to obtain sign off that all work has been conducted in accordance with client requirements
- Provides after hours technology support as assigned.
- Participates on committees and task forces; attends meetings, conferences and training sessions.
- Perform other job related duties as required or assigned.
Functional Assignment Areas
- Interacts with clients to analyze their business requirements and recommends technology solutions; identifies and maps business processes; gathers user requirements.
- Writes, revises, and maintains computer programs based on established specifications, using various computer languages and/or database platforms.
- Builds and maintains SQL queries, creates SQL stored procedures, or develops SQL extract scripts to populate data warehouse.
- Writes application and/or system design specifications, designs application and/or system flow diagrams, schematics, file structures, reports, forms and menus; prepares a definition of the problem, the desired output, and performance requirements.
- Coordinates design, development and implementation processes with system programmers, network analysts, database administrators, and server administrators to implement new or modified application software.
- Performs various system quality assurance activities; tests, troubleshoots and debugs system issues using appropriate technology; prepares and executes testing plans to validate functionality and resolve issues.
- Conducts training pertaining to the use of new applications or systems for users and/or other information technology staff.
- Provides professional systems support to users of particular applications.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or a closely related field plus two (2) years of increasingly responsible experience in functional areas stated above; OR any related combination of education from an accredited college or university or related experience in this occupation totaling six (6) years may substitute for the required education and experience and may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
- Supplemental Information
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSA'S)
- General operations, services, concepts, terms and activities common to a comprehensive, state-of-the-art information systems program
- Principles, methods and techniques used in designing, developing, testing and implementing computer hardware and software systems.
- Data processing techniques, including the types of hardware and software currently used to process data with different levels of complexity.
- Information system development lifecycle and design principles using flowcharting techniques and prototype development tools.
- Methods and techniques of evaluating business requirements to provide technology solutions.
- Project management principles and techniques such as organizing and managing a project, developing schedules, identifying critical paths, and breaking down a project into individual tasks.
- Principles and practices, and methods and techniques of technology system security administration
- Various application and control languages.
- Structured analysis and database concepts.
- Computer hardware and software systems similar to those being used by the hiring department.
- General operational characteristics of local and wide area network systems.
- General operational characteristics of communication systems, equipment and devices.
- Tools and equipment used in testing the functionality of computer applications.
- Principles and practices of troubleshooting computer hardware, software and network problems.
- Principles and practices of customer service.
- Methods and techniques of developing and presenting technical documentation and training materials.
- Principles and practices of record keeping.
- Modern office procedures, methods and equipment.
- Provide journey level professional support in assigned technology systems area(s).
- Gather and evaluate information in order to reason logically, draw valid conclusions, take appropriate actions and/or make appropriate recommendations.
- Develop information system designs, flow charts, report layouts and screen designs.
- Communicate technical information to a wide variety of users.
- Read and interpret source code from one of the commonly used programming languages; develop a working knowledge of new programming languages.
- Troubleshoot and repair a variety of application issues using appropriate program testing methods and tools.
- Plan, organize, prioritize and process work to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Utilize specialized terminology if needed by the specific assignment.
- Interpret and apply technical information pertaining to computer and network systems.
- Adapt quickly to changes in policies, procedures, assignments and work locations.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those encountered during the course of the work.
- Employee must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination and background investigation.
- Employee must comply with the safety guidelines of the County.
- Employee must complete required FEMA training(s) as assigned to position.
- Employee must have a valid New Mexico driver's license by employment date and maintain a valid NM drivers' license while employed in this position.