Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
YouthBuild Support Specialist
at Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.
Location: 4070 N M.L.K. Blvd, North Las Vegas, NV 89032
Promote CPLC Nevada and its mission and programs throughout
the State as required/requested. Provides support, coordination, program
implementation as directed by program leadership. Ensure program
accountability, productivity, policy compliance and best practice on
specifically assigned programs/projects.
To provide ongoing academic and vocational support for participants to
successfully complete the YouthBuild program, specifically HSE and youth
identified career pathway. Additionally, to provide placement & retention
services, follow-up services, counseling support, advocacy, and guidance to
program graduates in order to help them deal with their personal, legal, and
social service needs, especially those that interfere with their ability to be
placed in and retain placement in employment, post-secondary education,
apprenticeships, and/or military.
- Experience with counseling, job development, or follow-up interventions for young adults.
- Bachelor’s degree in counseling, psychology, or related field, or equivalent experience and training.
- Two years experience teaching basic skills and GED preparation
- Strong commitment to helping young adults succeed in an innovative training program to reorient their lives, nurture their leadership skills, and enable them to make a difference in their community.
- Ability to establish rapport and relate sensitively to a multiracial and multicultural group of young people.
- Knowledge of human service, health, court, and criminal justice systems’ programs, regulations, and procedures, and alternative programs.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills; ability to relate to a wide range of issues, people, and institutions.
- Understanding of the issues facing young people in the community where the program is located.
- Excellent public speaking, listening, and written communication skills.
- Sense of humor and non-judgmental attitude.
- Willingness to teach young people about service systems and decision making processes.
- Willingness to learn from young people.
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND
- Assess personal needs of YouthBuild graduates and provide resources to meet their needs during the follow-up period.
- Provide support for students at varied academic levels integrating information from these areas: construction work, the racial and cultural heritages of trainees, and community history or issues (academic levels can range from fourth grade to eighth grade reading levels
- Provide follow-up services to YouthBuild graduates.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with apprenticeship programs, post-secondary programs, and local employers.
- Facilitate alumni services and/or post-program support groups.
- Take responsibility for following up with graduates and providing ongoing post-program services
- Finding resources and implementing best practices for providing follow-up services to program graduates
- Advocate with human service, health, court, and criminal justice systems to resolve issues facing placement and retention of young adults.
- Make home visits and/or worksite visits, as appropriate, to assess needs and support young people.
- Meet regularly with staff to develop and maintain a consistent approach to supporting and expanding the personal growth and placement retention of young people.
- Keep service records of contacts with youth.
- Input and maintain updated follow-up data in YouthBuild client tracking/case management system.
- Collaborate with staff for particular placement activities as defined by the Program Manager
- Other duties as assigned.
The physical and mental demands described
here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to:
* Use written and oral communication skills
* Read and
interpret data, information and documents
* Analyze and solve non-routine and complex office administrative problems
and apply new information or skills
* Perform highly detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks
* Interact with managers, staff, customers, the public and others encountered in the course of work
will be expected to participate in continuous learning, competency building and
maintenance of competency skills.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed in structured office environments.
Reports to and is supervised directly by the Director of Youthbuild
Services. Employee is also accountable for understanding and complying with
CPLC policies and procedures.