Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
IT Radio Communications Engineer
at Pinal County
- JOB SUMMARY
Install, maintain, and upgrade the Pinal County wireless communication system, including mobile radio and data communications devices, monitor system, work with users to identify and resolve issues, and provide full-time, on-call service for emergencies regarding communication issues under general supervision.
- Example of Duties
Work in this classification requires an individual to be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary classification functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this classification may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in this classification description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this description.
TYPICAL CLASSIFICATION ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Maintain and upgrade the Pinal County wireless communication system, including technical engineering controls for mobile radio and data communications devices, according to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) standards and guidelines.
- Provide technical and support services for repair and maintenance of communication systems, recommending and procuring equipment and services, frequency management, and the county wide Radio Communications Consortium.
- Resolve radio system user issues, including repairing mobile and portable radios, radio deployment, updating programming, and repairing vehicle wiring.
- Install, remove, and reinstall mobile communications equipment.
- Monitor wireless communication systems and make necessary repairs and adjustments.
- Meet with system users and co-workers to identify issues and discuss installations and upgrades.
- Work with County departments to develop and deploy system enhancements and upgrades, purchase equipment, and plan future upgrades and overall system growth.
- Work with other public safety agencies to plan and implement multi-agency projects and operations.
- Assist the Information Technology (IT) Department in providing support and training to users.
- Maintain inventory for all equipment used in the communications systems.
- Manage projects and serve as a subject matter specialist on mobile radio and data communication systems.
- Provide full-time, on-call service for emergencies regarding communication issues.
- Maintain absolute confidentiality of work-related issues, customer records, and restricted County information.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Minimum Requirements
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- Associate's degree in Broadcast Technology, Electronics, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Three (3) years of experience as a radio communications technician, preferably in a public safety environment.
- One (1) year of administrative experience on Motorola P25 Trunked Radio System.
- Must acquire an FCC General Class Radiotelephone Operator license within one (1) year of hire.
- Experience maintaining radio communications sites.
- Knowledge of current microwave and wireless technology.
- Valid Arizona State Driver's License
- May be required to obtain additional specific training and technical certifications
- Supplemental Information
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of FCC guidelines, rules, and regulations governing telecommunications operations.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques used in the maintenance and repair of mobile radio and data communications equipment.
- Knowledge of Federal and state safety rules and regulations, including OSHA requirements.
- Skill in maintaining, repairing, testing, and troubleshooting electrical, electronic, and mechanical systems and equipment.
- Skill in evaluating technical issues and effectively prioritizing multiple tasks, projects, and demands.
- Ability to use standard techniques, tools, and equipment for repairing electronic communications equipment
The work is medium and requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. The work also requires the ability to climb, crawl, crouch, finger, feel, grasp, handle, reach, perform repetitive motion, kneel, lift, pull, push, speak, hear, stand, stoop, walk, operate motor vehicles and/or heavy equipment, and demonstrate visual and mental acuity.
Work is performed in a dynamic environment that requires the ability to be sensitive to change and responsive to changing goals, priorities, and needs.