Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
1456 - ITD - Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 54
The Pima County IT Enterprise GIS Team is seeking a highly motivated, thorough and disciplined individual with strong GIS knowledge and skills to fill a role of GIS Analyst. This position will be involved in a wide variety of GIS projects and data/application development work, using Esri data models and tools such as Enterprise Geodatabases, the ArcGIS Enterprise suite, internal and external web-based tools and applications, mobile applications and data workflow management tools. The individual selected for this position will become part of a well established team of GIS professionals that has been providing GIS technology to over 50 County departments, as well as external organizations and the general public for more than 25 years. In applying for this position, pay particular attention to the description that follows and to the Preferred Qualifications at the end of this posting, addressing each qualification in your application.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Performs geospatial data building, modeling and analysis using advanced spatial data manipulation or cartographic procedures;
Designs and coordinates the integration of GIS spatial databases with non-spatial enterprise business databases;
Participates in developing and implementing quality control procedures for GIS processes, procedures, services and products;
Designs and prepare cartographic representations of GIS data using GIS applications, including web based mapping systems;
Evaluates and makes recommendations to management for acquisition of GIS software, hardware and peripheral equipment;
Leads and/or trains ITD GIS technicians or related staff in the operations of GIS analytical procedures;
Enters data into GIS databases, using techniques such as coordinate geometry, keyboard entry of tabular data, manual digitizing of maps, scanning or automatic conversion to vectors or by converting other digital data;
Reviews existing or incoming data for currency, accuracy, usefulness, quality, or completeness of documentation;
Interprets aerial or ortho imagery for mapping purposes;
Revises existing maps and reports, making all necessary corrections and adjustments;
Compiles GIS data required for map preparation, including imagery, survey notes, records, reports, and original maps;
Documents GIS procedures, metadata, and operating standards;
Provides technical support to users or customers regarding the maintenance, development, or operation of GIS databases, applications and data collection devices;
Identifies and compiles GIS database information to support the creation of maps and applications in response to requests.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- GIS principles, techniques, applications and industry standards as applied to spatial data, imagery and metadata for programming and analysis;
- quality Control/Quality Assurance of GIS data and products;
- GIS data research, collection, organization and documentation for specific product output;
- advanced GIS data models, relational data, and editing methodologies;
- GIS technology directions and trends in software, hardware, web services;
- current programming languages for GIS process automation and application development;
- relational GIS database design and application implementation in an Enterprise distributed processing environment;
- remote sensing data interpretation, e.g. aerial imagery, LiDAR, etc.;
- best practices for securing GIS data in a distributed environment.
- creating and editing GIS data, including attribute data, using methodologies such as coordinate geometry, heads-up digitizing, and conversion of other data sources;
- applying data processing, quality-control, delivery and display;
- providing customer support and problem resolution in the use of GIS data and applications;
- using programming languages for GIS process automation and application development;
- time management while handling multiple projects;
- identifying customer needs and developing solutions to meet their needs.
- Minimum Qualifications
- EITHER:(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical school in Geographic Information Systems, remote sensing, cartography, geography or related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment.
(Relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical school may be substituted.)OR:(2) Two years of experience with Pima County as a Geographic Information Systems Technician or ITD Geographic Information Systems Technician.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience managing geospatial data and associated attribute databases, performing data conversions, working with digital orthophotography, and remote sensing products, scanned documents and metadata.
- Experience assisting in conceptualizing, requirements gathering, analyzing, designing, configuring, and debugging new Web GIS, Mobile GIS applications, workflows in ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise.
- Experience and strong analytical/problem solving skills related to GIS data, geo-processing scripts and GIS application development.
- Experience using Microsoft SQL Server for database design, implementation, and maintenance utilizing geospatial data and associated non-geospatial data.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/score against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidates from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions may require appropriate licenses or certifications at time of appointment or within a specified timeframe, e.g., Certified Business Analyst Professional (CBAP). Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant’s suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services’ review and approval of the candidate’s driving record.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.