Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
2314 - Civil Engineer
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Transportation Department.
Supervises, within the limits imposed by registration or certification, civil engineering planning, design and construction and performs complex professional civil engineering work.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Supervises a team of engineering assistants, technicians and aides in the investigation, design and preparation or review of plans, estimates and reports involved in the construction and maintenance of roads, streets, storm drains, sewers and sewerage systems, structures and miscellaneous projects;
Initiates and directs preliminary designs, studies and cost estimates and prepares reports of assigned future and proposed projects;
Maintains work schedules for assigned team personnel;
Determines need for basic data, such as field surveys, location of utilities and soil tests and requests information through appropriate channels;
Coordinates design and other features of work with other public agencies;
Reviews work completed by staff for conformance with original job instructions and accepted engineering practices;
Reviews or checks designs, drawings and profiles for adequacy, soundness of engineering features and practicality;
Checks and reviews final plans and specifications including contract projects for submission to supervisor;
Performs complex research, investigative and design work;
Directs the construction of large and complex roadways, dams, bridges, structures, sewage treatment facilities or other civil engineering projects;
Resolves complex engineering problems;
Directs the activities of project engineers on assigned projects;
Provides professional engineering direction and guidance in the construction, maintenance or operation of roads and bridges;
Recommends methods of resolving unusual and complex problems and improving materials and practices;
Directs engineering planning studies;
Interprets engineering and administrative directives, policies and standards.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- principles and practices of civil and structural engineering;
- civil engineering methods and practices followed in performing engineering planning studies, preparing designs, plans, specifications, estimates and reports as applied to street improvements, storm drains, sanitary sewers, wastewater treatment works, reinforced concrete and wooden structures;
- field engineering, including surveying, inspection and construction practices;
- sources of engineering information.
- receiving assignments in general terms and in planning laying-out and directing the work of a group of engineering personnel;
- coordinating the work of a unit with a general program or specific problems;
- application of engineering theory to complex field and office problems;
- coordination of various engineering and operational activities;
- supervising professional and support personnel.
- Minimum Qualifications
Current registration or license in any state as a Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Professional Engineer (RPE).
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
(Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience developing and reviewing transportation project cost estimates.
- Experience using Autocad and/or Microstation.
- Experience managing transportation related projects, budgets, schedules, and interfacing with clients.
- Experience preparing roadway construction plans and contract documents.
- Experience with subdivision standards, design and development codes.
- Experience in intersection, drainage, traffic, grading, and roadway design.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Service's review and approval of the candidate's driving record. Registration in the State of Arizona as a Professional Engineer is required within one year from date of appointment. Some positions require a valid Arizona Class D driver license at the time of application. Failure to obtain/maintain the required registration/licensure shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County. (Current Incumbents within this Classification Only) Pending professional Arizona State technical registration as a Civil Engineer, incumbents must not use the title Civil Engineer. The interim title of Civil Engineering Associate is to be used during this period. Alternatively, if the incumbent has achieved Civil Engineer-in-training status by virtue of having passed the Civil Engineer-in-training State Board examination, the title of Civil Engineer-in-training may be used until full professional registration is obtained.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.