Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Software Engineer - Senior (4743 - IT - Applications Engineer)
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 63
We are seeking a highly technical and systems-focused Software Engineer to serve in the role of Application Engineer for the Pima County Information Technology Department (ITD). In applying for this position, pay particular attention to the description that follows and to the Minimum and Preferred Qualifications at the end of this posting, addressing each qualification in your application. This role involves developing and providing ongoing support to systems encompassing all aspects of Pima County operations both internal and public facing. This person will operate across various software engineering disciplines including but not limited to UI, middle-tier services, and database development. They will also be responsible for testing and system automation. We offer an opportunity to utilize your skills, grow new ones, work in a team environment and advance your career in a rewarding domain. You bring enthusiasm, professionalism and a desire to get better every day, as well as to make a difference in your community by supporting the mission of Pima County Government.
Additional Information: For a glimpse of the ITD culture, please enjoy watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nCj_XERrfI&feature=youtu.be
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Customer Segment Design, Maintenance and Support
Assists with the development of project scopes, pilot system efforts, definitions of associated costs and evaluation of alternative delivery mechanisms to satisfy customer requests;
Refines conceptual requirements into detailed technical designs;
Designs and develops software in support of new application development/deployment;
Programs/configures enhancements to existing automation solutions;
Provides guidance and support on processes and procedures based on the systems development life cycle;
Assists in the setup and maintenance of various environments required for testing, development, conversion and training, and establishes procedures for program migration, database changes and menu changes;
Performs unit testing and participates and assists in system testing and associated functional validations of business applications;
Develops documentation for programs, test plans, validation protocols and other supporting system documentation;
Serves as a project leader for teams performing technology related analysis, research, implementation, testing and maintenance;
Database Design, Maintenance and Support
Plans, develops and maintains relational databases over a variety of database platforms;
Participates in the development of database requirements and design specifications;
Models database systems, transforms database models and entities into database objects, implements database changes based on application development or enhancements;
Installs database management systems (DBMS) software, application software and other software related to DBMS administration;
Monitors and administers DBMS security using appropriate protocols;
Conducts system administration of database servers to function optimally with the DBMS;
Writes and maintains database documentation appropriate to area of assignment;
Monitors storage, archiving, backup and recovery procedures to ensure functionality and operability, as well as conducting capacity planning;
Develops custom or ad hoc reports using industry standard tools.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- programming languages and associated web application development tools applicable to area of assignment;
- end user office, email and programming tools;
- principles and techniques of systems analysis and design;
- office tools and associated procedures and their application in the use of application systems processing;
- data warehouses and business intelligence environments;
- development and maintenance of data communications, security and privacy measures;
- database design, normalization and management, and systems analysis;
- modeling database systems and capacity planning;
- effective database supervision and monitoring techniques;
- protocols and methods for monitoring security of DBMS;
- techniques of data storage, archiving, backup and recovery;
- procedures and definitions for the data dictionary;
- operating principles, capabilities and limitations of hardware, software and database systems;
- industry security standards and procedures and IT best practices for application development;
- IT Infrastructure Library for the Incident and Problem Management environment;
- effective teamwork behaviors;
- project management methodologies and technologies.
- creating moderately complex documents, forms, reports and spreadsheets containing tables and graphs;
- mail merging documents and applying page setup functions (margins, page numbers, footers, headers);
- creating an index and/or table of contents, using search & replace, printing labels and envelopes;
- sorting, finding and filtering messages, setting rules, sharing contact information and creating custom forms and working with permissions and journals;
- refining conceptual requirements into technical designs;
- transforming database models and entities into database objects;
- installing software and configuring hardware and software for optimal performance;
- organizing workload, being proactive and managing a wide variety of customer requests simultaneously;
- written, verbal communications in both technical and non-technical terms;
- operating as a member of a team;
- employing quality skill sets and diagnostic tools;
- understanding client applications, business requirements and concepts;
- communicating with internal and external customers/vendors;
- employing diagnostic, analytical and conceptual skills with detailed orientation;
- employing full systems life cycle development;
- gathering requirements, analyzing business problems, automating business processes and implementing application solutions.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment, and four years of work experience in software development and maintenance, and two years of work experience in the development and maintenance of database systems. (Experience requirements may be achieved concurrently.)
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school and six years of work experience in information technology software development and maintenance and two years of work experience in the development and maintenance of database systems. (Experience requirements may be achieved concurrently.)
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical trade school may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Full-stack software development experience in a primarily Microsoft environment.
- Experience in contemporary DevOps techniques and technologies.
- Experience with software test development, implementation and automation.
- Experience with soft leadership skills in an Agile environment (e.g., Scrum Master, Agile Coach).
- A resume is required.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions may require appropriate licenses or certifications at time of appointment or within a specified timeframe, e.g., Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS). Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services' review and approval of the candidate's driving record.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions require lifting equipment, climbing, working on towers, elevated or below grade platforms. All positions require the ability to identify industry standard color-coding of electrical wiring and components. Other physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.