South Peninsula Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
CERTIFIED SURGICAL TECH (PCN 207)
at South Peninsula Hospital
Work Hours: 40/week
POSITION PURPOSE: To deliver patient care and assume appropriate responsibilities before, during and after surgery.
NATURE AND SCOPE: The Certified Surgical Technologist's (CST) responsibilities include handling of instrumentation, supplies, and equipment necessary for surgical procedure. He or she has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon. He or she has the necessary knowledge and the ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and is constantly on vigil for maintenance of the sterile field.
The Certified Surgical Technologist acting as a second assisting surgical technologist assists the surgeon and/or First Assistant during the operative procedure by carrying out technical tasks. This role is distinct from that of the First Assistant and may in some circumstances, be performed at the same time as the scrub role.
LATITUDE: The duties and accountabilities of the Certified Surgical Technologist are clearly defined in this position description. The individual in this position is given the latitude to perform their job duties in a thorough manner, while remaining within the scope of their authority. The CST may act as a scrub surgical technologist or a second assistant surgical technologist. The CST will be required to orient and obtain competency in the Sterile Processing Department and function in that role when necessary.
SUBORDINATE ACTIVITIES: This position has no supervisory duties.
CONTACTS: The Surgical Technologist communicates clearly with the Nurse Manager of the OR, other surgical staff, the surgeons, the medical staff, anesthesia personnel and the patient/family as appropriate. Good relationships are maintained with all other patient care and ancillary services to promote high quality care and teamwork.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED; Certified Surgical Technologist
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of two years’ experience as a surgical technologist working in an operating room environment.
- Requires an active certification in the field or obtain certification within 1 year of hire.
- CST’s maintain their certification by accruing 60 contact hours of approved continuing education in a consecutive 4-year period or by successfully retaking the certifying examination at the conclusion of the 4-year period.
- Must possess, and maintain, a current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- Speaking, listening, the ability to move frequently from one task to another using several different skills, the ability to make decisions based on facts, the ability to use fingers and hands, the ability to work accurately with detail, good vision and eye-hand coordination are required to communicate with others during the surgical experience.