Steward Health Care System
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
ER Tech-Emergency Services-36 Hrs/Week-Night Shift-Every Other Weekend
at Steward Health Care System
I. Position Function:
The ED Technician is under the direction of the RN, provides physical care and environmental support for patients, in addition to maintaining, cleaning equipment and ordering supplies.
II. Job Relationships:
Reports directly to Patient Care Director.
Is accountable for his/her action.
Accepts direction from the RN and communicates pertinent data in a timely manner.
Works collaboratively with other members of the health care team.
Communicates in a professional manner with patients, family and all members of the health care team.
Has knowledge and ability to access appropriate resources.
Has requisite authority required to accomplish the objectives set forth in the departmental Provision of Services Plan and to accomplish the following specific responsibilities.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
Patient Care Needs:
- Provides and/or assists with physical care needs and environmental support needs of the
patient as appropriately delegated by the RN.
- Obtains O2 saturation via pulse oximeter.
- Has knowledge regarding use of pulse oximeter.
- Has knowledge of normal values for vital signs and O2 saturation and notifies RN of
- Applies O2 therapy via nasal cannula.
- Performs initial application and re-application of telemetry monitor leads and electrodes.
- Performs 12 Lead EKG's as directed.
- Assists with comfort measures including answering lights and toileting.
- Assists with patient positioning.
- Demonstrates ability to respond productively in a variety of emergency situations, providing
direct and indirect patient care activities.
- May provide initial emergency airway management while notifying RN of emergency situation.
- Performs non - complex sterile dressing changes and simple wound care.
- Performs basic enemas as directed.
- Performs stool guaiac and quality control measures.
- Assists with recording patient intake and output.
- Assists with urine collection and monitoring.
- Performs glucose testing and routine quality control via Accucheck system.
- Has knowledge of normal and abnormal blood glucose levels and notifies RN of abnormal
- Participates in post-mortem care.
- May provide care of patients requiring 1:1 observation.
- Assists in applying splints, immobilizes, casts, etc. as needed.
- Assists in crutch training.
- Prepares patients for examinations as requested by RN/MD.
- Transports patients, equipment and supplies intra-departmentally.
- Assists with computer entry as needed.
- Performs phlebotomy as directed by RN/MD.
- Documents all activities performed on ED Flowsheet.
- Maintains confidentiality and semblance of medical record.
- Reports pertinent data to RN/MD in a timely manner.
- Does department ordering and stocking.
- Checks equipment and supplies to assure departments readiness.
- Restocks/prepares patient unit cubicles.
- Reports/follow-up on damaged or lost equipment/supplies.
- Assists with general cleaning of department.
- Keeps hallways clear, stores carts, equipment, etc. in appropriate storage areas.
Approach to Job Performance/Cooperation/Motivation.
The ED Technician demonstrates a commitment to work collaboratively with other health care team members to facilitate and promote desired patient outcomes and to promote a unit environment which supports positive public relations.
Performs responsibilities in a self-directed and cooperative manner.
Uses time constructively and organizes assignment for maximum productivity.
Cooperates with peer group in varying schedule assignments on time sheet.
Meets the demands and functions during stress and emergencies in a positive manner.
Takes responsibility and is accountable for his/her actions or in-actions and standard of practice.
Requests and accepts constructive criticism.
Develops a rapport with peers and co-workers that is conducive to patient care.
Works in a team approach to accomplish unit goals.
Maintains an acceptable attitude.
Manages conflict and frustration in a positive and constructive manner.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
Performs related duties as necessary.
V. Reporting Requirements:
Reports immediately to Patient Care Director/designee only unusual occurrences related to patients, other staff, self or equipment.
Reports immediately to nursing staff any changes in patient condition warranting intervention.
Reports to Patient Care Director/designee any broken or lost equipment.
Reports to Patient Care Director/designee any patient complaints/dissatisfaction.
Accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all patient data and information.
Accountable for maintaining confidentiality of computer ID code.
Accountable for accurately maintaining patient/provider appointment schedules.
Accountable for accurate preparation of patient records.
Accountable for abiding by all relevant hospital department policies and procedures including safety policies and procedures.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
One year related technical job experience.
Able to communicate verbally and in writing in English language.
Able to complete mathematical computations required to perform responsibilities.
Able to analyze simple issues and solve them with direction.
Nursing Aide Certification preferred.
Successful completion of the 4 week comprehensive Patient Care Associate Program or equivalent experience.
Basic computer knowledge preferred.
Proven experience in interacting with individuals and groups.
Requires strong organizational skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled