Steward Health Care System
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Pharm Tech Certified (Retail) - Full-Time- Evening Shifts with Weekend Day Rotations
at Steward Health Care System
I. Position Function: Under the direct supervision of a Registered Pharmacist, performs non-clinical decision-making aspects of medication handling, prescription computer input, patient interactions, and clerical tasks.
II. Job Relationships: Reports directly to Pharmacy Manager.
Supervised by Registered Pharmacists on duty.
III. Authority: Has the requisite authority required to accomplish the objectives of the pharmacy department as outlined in the responsibilities/essential functions under the direct supervision of a Registered Pharmacist and in accordance with state and federal regulations.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
and patients as referenced in the “Achieving Excellent Care Standards", while abiding by all “Standards of Behavior-Respect, Communication, Compassion, Teamwork, and Accountability.”
2.) Must be team-oriented and possess excellent organizational and productivity skills to perform duties in a high volume pharmacy. Must possess proficient skills to work with pharmacy computer software and pharmacy automation systems.
* Answer and screen all telephone calls.
- Refer all clinical inquiries to a Registered Pharmacist.
- Answer patient non-clinical questions pertaining to mail delivery or pick up of medications.
- Take refill requests including the name of the medication, prescription number, full name of patient, and any drug allergies that patient may have.
- Answer pharmacy benefit questions for members, providers, or nursing staff.
* Take oral prescription orders for new and refill medications from a designee of a provider's office and complete a read-back of information given to verify the order is taken correctly.
* Conduct prescription transfers to and from other pharmacies in accordance with state and federal regulations.
* Service the drop-off window.
- Receive prescriptions from patients and get all necessary information, including clarifying the name, date of birth, insurance, and drug-allergy information for the patient.
* Service the pick-up window.
- Provide patients with their medication and verify the full name and address and date of birth of the patient to make sure the correct medication is being picked up.
- Offer the patient the availability of a Registered Pharmacist to counsel them on their medications or answer any questions they may have.
- Collect co-pays for medications from the patients.
* Computer data input for prescriptions.
- Under the direct supervision of a Registered Pharmacist, input all data necessary to process new, refill, and on-file prescriptions except when a clinical decision is required. In that case a Registered Pharmacist must complete the data entry.
* Process patient requests for renewal of prescriptions through the corresponding provider office. Follow up to make sure that renewals are received and processed.
* Prepare medications for a Registered Pharmacist's final check.
- Read and interpret prescriptions to select the correct medication to fill that prescription.
- Count, pour, compound, and label the prescription for the final check by a Registered Pharmacist.
* Perform monthly outdate medication check and prepare them for return for credit.
* Package checked prescriptions for mail order. Will work with US mail and FedEx.
* Process wholesale drug orders to ensure that all medications are received and placed into stock. Make sure stock is rotated and tagged properly for all “Look-alike/Sound-alike” medications.
* Process 'cover' prescriptions as required by state and federal regulations.
* File filled prescriptions according to all state and federal regulations for each scheduled class (II, III, IV, and V, and VI).
* Process medication floor stock requisitions.
* Assists in training and helping new employees.
* Perform duties as requested by a Registered Pharmacist.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
* Make pick-ups and deliveries to nursing units as required.
* Process checks for co-pays and apply credit to patient accounts.
* Prepare funds for deposit.
* Page courier for deliveries to CSEMC.
* Clean equipment and work stations daily.
* Order and stock all pharmacy supplies.
* Assist in ordering medications through the wholesaler.
* Closeout and process end of day activity for the credit card machine.
* Prepare mail with proper postage utilizing a postage meter.
* Utilize an automatic letter opener to organize incoming mail.
* Assist in preparation of yearly pharmacy inventory.
V. Reporting Requirements:
* Reports directly to the Pharmacy Manager at staff meetings and as requested.
* Reports daily to all pharmacists on staff.
* Shall be accountable for maintaining the confidentiality, privacy, and security of protected health information for the health center, medical staff, and patient-related data.
* Shall be accountable for abiding by all state and federal regulations, and all health center policies and procedures.
* Shall be accountable for abiding by all Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations standards and regulations as applicable to the job position.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Must have a minimum of 500 hours experience as a Pharmacy Technician Trainee. Must complete a state Board of Pharmacy approved exam for registration.
Computer literacy with proficiency in general word-processing and data entry.
Strong organizational, prioritization, communication, and mathematical skills.
Knowledge of third party payers and insurance plans.
Ability to understand the importance of and respect the confidentiality of all patient information.
Certification/Licensure: Must be registered with the state Board of Pharmacy.
Training: Must have all training requirements as set forth by the state Board of Pharmacy.
Special Qualifications: Must be at least 18 years of age.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled