Location: Saint Anne's Hospital
Posted Date: 9/4/2020
Accession bench responsibilities include collecting and receiving specimens in the LIS, processing and delivering specimens to the proper department(s). Answering the phone and directing inquiries to the proper personnel. Phlebotomy responsibilities include collecting and transporting blood and urine samples to the lab in a timely manner. Interfaces with patients and health care providers to provide phlebotomy services in a timely organized manner.
- Collect and receive all eligible specimens in the LIS.
- Operate the centrifuge following all safety guidelines.
- Deliver all specimens (blood, urine, body fluids.) to the proper department within specified time frames.
- Process specimens for sendout department and have the ability to perform basic send out protocols, which include but is not limited to call up site batches and manually writing up sendout requisitions.
- Answers telephones and provides customer service in a professional manner.
- Follows all hospital and department policies regarding personal protective equipment, biohazard waste and sharps disposal.
- Orders all necessary patient lab work as required in the LIS.
- Reviews a hard copy of the outstanding specimen list with the next shift.
- Cleans and stocks the accessioning bench.
- Properly identifies patients in accordance with laboratory and hospital policy.
- Obtains blood from patients ranging in age from infants to geriatric patients.
- Obtains blood samples in adequate amounts and in appropriate containers.
- Obtains blood samples by capillary and venipuncture methods.
- Initials, dates and times all specimens and places the bar code label in the proper position on the sample
- Labels all specimens with appropriate patient information according to hospital and laboratory policy.
- Has the knowledge of and complies with procedures and policies in the Phlebotomy and laboratory Collection Manual
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Education: High school graduate or equivalent required.
- Experience: 0-1 years of experience preferred
- Certification/Licensure: Phlebotomy certificate from accredited program preferred