Steward Health Care System
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Surgical Scrub Tech Tech Operating Room Full-time
at Steward Health Care System
Summary: The Surgical Technician is a health professional working as a part of the team delivering surgical care. Surgical Technicians are members of the surgical team. They process knowledge, training, and skills in sterile and aseptic techniques and will scrub and assist on surgical procedures using the aseptic technique.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform work independently with minimal direction from the Registered Nurse
- Controls and maintains the environment of the surgical patient. Ensures traffic around the field is observed and controlled to maintain sterility. Disposes of waste properly, cleans equipment and instruments according to industry standards.
- Adheres to aseptic practice to create and maintain a sterile filed.
- Initiates corrective action when there is a break in aseptic technique.
- Inspects sterile items prior to opening for possible contamination or sterility expiration
- Maintains sterility while opening sterile items.
- Checks supplies, equipment, and instrumentation prior to the start of the case. Obtains supplies if missing.
- Follows policy and procedure to ensure patient safety
- Accurately performs counts as indicated by policy. Initiates corrective action if counts are incorrect.
- Demonstrated knowledge of departmental and AORN policies and practices.
- Always functions as a patient advocate. Ensures patient safety.
- Assures all equipment is functioning properly prior to use and operates according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Maintains confidentiality and privacy of the patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the scrub and assist role
- Properly drapes the patient.
- Passes instruments properly and anticipates needs of the surgeon and the case.
- Prepares sterile dressings.
- Gowns and gloves surgical team.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilizations with immediate spraying and opening of instruments prior to taking to the decontamination room.
- Assists others with room clean up and turnover as needed.
- Orients new staff/students as assigned in a professional and respectful manner.
- Takes call as needed.
- Works overtime as needed.
- Accurately reports implants to the circulator.
- Accurately identifies and handles specimens according to policy.
- Demonstrates responsibility in setting priorities when completing tasks
- Prioritizes work
- Promptly goes to room to check and open supplies at the beginning of the day and before all assigned cases.
- Assists in emergency situations as directed.
- Demonstrates a team approach to work
- Picks cases without being asked.
- Helps other staff when needed.
- Active participant in patient identification, correct surgical procedure and site/side confirmation in conjunction with the other surgical team members, prior to incision.
- Completes counts with circulator and team with every case.
- Other accountabilities
- Labels all solutions on the sterile field and confirms label with the RN.
- Complies with and enforces policies related to infection control.
- Maintains educational record on a monthly basis.
- Attends in-services and staff meeting and records attendance.
- Clocks in and out daily and when on call.
- Returns supplies to their proper place at the end of the case.
- Actively promotes and advocates the reprocessing initiative.
- Resource on instrumentation and sterile technique for other staff.
The above statements reflect the general duties and are not to be considered as a detailed description of all the work assignments.
- Graduate of accredited school of Surgical Technology
- BLS (within 90 days of hire)
- Background Checks (as required by state and federal regulations
- Vacation time
- Sick time