The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Mechanical Engineer, Sr DFM
at The Geo Group
Facility: BOULDER HEADQUARTERS - EM
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position contingent upon corporate approval
BI is one of the leading technology companies in Colorado and the largest provider of innovative electronic monitoring solutions in the United States. We excel at proving technological solutions to over 1,000 agencies nationwide and allowing those agencies to fulfill their missions without worrying about the technical complexities.
We are continuously innovating and discovering new ways to deliver valuable electronic monitoring products. At our headquarters in Boulder, CO, we host a full manufacturing floor, hardware engineering, software teams, and business leaders who are passionate about expanding our potential. Our collaborative team balances a casual atmosphere with a dedication to delivering excellent products. If you thrive on discovering sleek and innovative solutions for complex engineering, design, and manufacturing problems, you will love working with us!
About the Role:
- Designs, develops and tests all aspects of mechanical components and equipment. Applies knowledge of engineering principles to design products such as electronics, plastics, instruments, controls, etc. May be involved in the fabrication, operation, application, installation and/or repair of mechanical components of electronic products.
What you'll be doing:
- Responsible for the initial and ongoing design review of new hardware. Designs, develops and tests all aspects of mechanical components and equipment.
- Works closely with manufacturing, industrial design and electrical engineering to ensure automated mass production, ergonomic, aesthetic, reliable, durable and functional products.
- Works closely with other engineers for the management of new product introduction including vendor sourcing, approvals, and costing. Ensures that quality criteria are met for all products.
- Provides support to Product Management, Manufacturing and Engineering Change Request program for existing products, processes and equipment. Recommends design changes to improve quality, manufacturability and ease of assembly.
- Identifies process deficiencies and develop solutions to improve those deficiencies.
- Provides creative problem solving, life cycle planning and failure analysis (FEA, root cause investigation and experiments)
- Provides leadership to manufacturing personnel in developing and implementing product and process improvements.
- Provides input and recommendations to Quality Assurance Manufacturing regarding the development of test equipment and methods of testing for reliability evaluation, and quality assurance and inspection requirements.
- Develops CAD project drawings, provides tolerance analysis, design for assembly (DFA), and design for manufacturing (DFM).
- Serves as a mentor to junior engineers. Provides guidance and technical knowledge in the development and review of mechanical engineering.
- Provides succinct and professional project updates to management on an ongoing basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What You'll Bring to this Position
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in mechanical engineering in manufacturing.
- Experience with full product cycle from concept to manufacturability.
- Understanding of product development process for mass volume production design, with a focus on design for manufacturing (DFM) and design for test (DFT).
- Experience with consumer electronics preferred.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and/or SolidWorks or equivalent CAD software.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide audience, both technical and non-technical.
- Ability to manage multiple products ongoing.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to identify diverse technical constraints and develop solutions.
- Excellent prioritization and project development skills.
- Change management skills.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.
- Consumer electronics knowledge, including integrating the following into mechanical enclosures:
- Wireless antennae (LTE, GNSS, WiFi, BLE)
- Flex circuits
- Fiber optics
- Manufacturing knowledge: injection molding, automation, sonic welding, Lean
- Design skills: DFM, DFA, design for testing, prototyping, tolerance analysis, human fit, weight reduction, usability
- Engineering skills: FEA, Failure Analysis, Experiment Design, Root Cause Analysis
Software Engineer, Sr.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will be part of a stable, established, and yet still growing organization with a great deal of diversification that will present you with a range of different challenges. We value your hard work and professional dedication and will reward you with a competitive compensation package that includes full benefits.
Your benefits will include:
- 3 weeks paid time off
- 11 paid holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Term life insurance (includes spouse and dependent)
- Accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Flexible spending account
- 401(k) retirement program
- Stock purchase program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Various discount programs
- Your world of opportunities begins here! Apply today!