The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Geo Group
Facility: REEVES COUNTY DETENTION CENTER (I & II)
Compensation Base: $ 49,462.40
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Supervises a group of Case Managers who provide program and administrative duties within an inmate housing unit area, providing for maximum unit coordination, inmate supervision and safety, and preparation of records and reports.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the development and implementation of policies, procedures and regulations for custody, security and treatment of inmates as they pertain to housing unit operations.
- Possesses direct line supervision over housing unit correctional officers, case managers, correctional counselors, and clerks; makes assignments, reviews post orders and assures that all housing unit procedures, including emergency procedures, are in place and staff is trained in implementation of same.
- Assesses staff training needs for development of staff.
- Works closely with the Chief of Security on housing unit security issues. Reviews staff effectiveness and conducts frequent physical inspections of housing unit to ensure proper implementation of policies and procedures.
- Conducts daily patrol of all areas occupied by inmates under their supervision to be assessable to inmates and observe the living and working conditions of the inmates. Visits work sites at least monthly to provide visibility and availability to work supervisors and inmates. Visits special management areas to ensure inmates from their unit have an opportunity for contact.
- Reviews disciplinary matters concerning both staff and inmates in the housing unit.
- Reviews and evaluates program department policies and procedures to ensure that they are pertinent, applicable and effective and comply with client agency, corporate, institution and ACA requirements, guidelines and standards.
- Counsels inmates, responds to their requests and problems and refers them to appropriate institution services. Provides guidance in problem situations and makes referrals when appropriate. Supports, clarifies, and helps inmates understand and relate to all programs of the institution.
- Assists in formulating and providing classroom instruction and training in program activities to the institution's correctional officers.
- Responds to major institution unusual occurrences. Facilitates prompt and appropriate response and assistance to inmates in the event of injury, illness and emotional trauma.
- Establishes housing unit plan, stating unit missions and goals. Enforces institution unit goals.
- Monitors daily logs. Prepares records and reports as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent. Some college education highly desirable.
- Three (3) years' of experience working in a correctional setting, one (1) of which was in a position requiring supervisory capabilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to prepare written reports.
- Ability to learn rules, regulations and security procedures required by the institution.
- Ability to work with a team of professionals and have the ability to implement team strategy approaches to work assignments.
- Must be representative of those worthwhile qualities with which subordinates and co-workers can identify, and to which inmates can respond.
- Must be emotionally stable, understanding and philosophically attuned to the corporate and facility objectives. Must be mature, flexible, cooperative and empathetic to the needs of staff and inmates.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.