University of New Mexico
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Information Security Analyst - req# 8254
at University of New Mexico
Systems/Network Analyst 3
|Working Title||Sr. Information Security Analyst|
The University of New Mexico is seeking to hire a Sr. Information Security Analyst that will be responsible for providing information security subject matter expertise to UNM’s Information Security & Privacy Office (ISPO) and to the UNM community. This expertise will encompass information security architecture, programs, and projects for administrative, physical, and technical safeguards across the university. The Sr. Information Security Analyst will be directly engaged in the support of UNM’s information security strategies and roadmaps; in incident and breach response; and in advising and leading technical initiatives with emphasis on Logging and Log Management (LM), and Security Information and Event Management (SIEM).
This position will also be responsible for assisting UNM IT’s UNIX team with maintaining and expanding the University’s complex enterprise computing environment by supporting current and future services as they apply to the University’s Information Security Initiatives. These services include but are not limited to Splunk Enterprise and Splunk Enterprise Security, and may also include server migrations to the VMware NSX-powered software-defined data center (SDDC)
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Rotate on-call primary incident response duties for events that may indicate violations of UNM policies and applicable laws, that may indicate a potential breach of SPI/ PII, or that may indicate unauthorized access to UNM information systems.
2. Provide technical assistance and maintenance support to other groups within IT as it applies to Splunk and Splunk Enterprise Security
3. Research, test, implement, document and troubleshoot the Information Security Operations team’s services and tools, and assist with various projects and tasks.
4. Participate in the development and implementation of roadmaps, and of tactical and strategic plans and projects.
5. Research complex business and technical problems and recommend appropriate effective and efficient information security and privacy solutions.
6. Review project implementation requests to ensure safeguards are in place for the information with which the University is entrusted.
7. Analyze enterprise service, authentication, and authorization logs, and network and security appliance logs to identify security incidents, and to provide incident response support.
8. Assess security of existing and proposed, custom and COTS products and solutions using industry standard methodology.
9. Identify and develop effective working relationships and lines of communication within the UNM community.
10. Recommend improvements to the information security, effectiveness and efficiency of UNM’s IT products and services.
11. Participate in the continued development, implementation, and improvement of UNM’s Information Security Management System (ISMS) program components.
12. Maintain currency of knowledge with respect to relevant laws, technologies and/or systems related to information security and privacy.
13. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
|Conditions of Employment|
Bachelor's degree; at least 2 years of progressively responsible experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Higher education and/or experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
1. Master’s degree in Information Security or related field.
2. Previous technical information security experience.
3. Strong GNU/Linux system administration skills.
4. Experience with:
a. Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
b. SolarWinds Orion
c. Splunk Enterprise
d. Splunk Enterprise Security
e. VMware NSX
5. Professional certifications including:
i. ITIL v3
6. Understanding of and familiarity with security and data privacy contractual and regulatory requirements including:
b. Research/ IRB, including Export Control/ ITAR
7. Experience providing business, executive, and IT summaries of information security and issues.
8. Understanding of and familiarity with implementing NIST 800-171 controls in a complex research educational environment.
9. Experience creating information security guidelines and standards.
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Information Security and Privacy (323A)|
|Staff Type||Regular - Full-Time|
|Term End Date|
|Pay||$3956.33 to Negotiable|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||Yes|
|For Best Consideration Date||5/30/2019|
|Application Instructions||Include Resume and Cover Letter|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.