University of New Mexico
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr Morphology Tech - req# 13759
at University of New Mexico
Sr Morphology Tech
|Working Title||Sr Morphology Tech|
Under general supervision, provides and/or oversees technical morphology lab services for hospital, forensic, or anatomical autopsy cases. Provides and/or oversees provision of general support to pathologists and other technical staff. Trains and oversees the work of other technicians and/or resident physicians performing related functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Receives bodies of deceased persons, ensuring appropriate confidentiality.
2. Oversees and/or performs collection, inventory, and preservation of valuables, personal effects, and evidence for case documentation and legal chain of custody.
3. Oversees and/or provides assistance in the conduct of autopsies, to include laying out supplies, record keeping, taking toxicology specimens, and performing advanced evisceration techniques.
4. Takes photographs and x-rays of cadavers or carcasses; may develop or assist with developing of photographs and x-rays.
5. Disinfects bodies, facilities, and equipment after cases.
6. Oversees the cleaning and maintenance of laboratory equipment, facilities, and related materials; ensures the maintenance and stocking of supplies inventories and laboratory chemicals.
7. Performs data entry on computer as appropriate; prepares applicable reports.
8. Releases bodies and valuables to authorized persons.
9. Trains and supervises the work of others, including technicians and resident physicians, in the day-to-day performance of autopsies and related activities.
10. Evaluates, develops. and implements technical protocol and procedures for morphology services, as appropriate.
11. Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
Position requires: a) performance of complex autopsy procedures, to include application of advanced evisceration techniques; b) training and technical oversight of lower level technicians and/or residents in all aspects of the day-to-day performance and administration of autopsies; c) responsibility for the oversight of laboratory facilities, equipment, and supplies: d) evaluation and development of autopsy procedures and protocols.
|Conditions of Employment|
High school diploma or GED and successful completion of at least 3 credit hours of college-level coursework related to the duties and responsibilities specified; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
|Preferred Qualifications||Preferred qualifications include prior dissection and/or death investigation experience|
|Campus||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Office of the Medical Investigator (389A)|
|Staff Type||Regular - Part-Time|
|Term End Date|
|Pay||$13.62 to $20.43|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||Yes|
|For Best Consideration Date||10/2/2020|
Only applications submitted throughthe official UNMJobs site will be accepted. If you are viewing this jobadvertisement on a 3rd party site, pleasevisit UNMJobs to submit an application.Both resume and cover letter specific to the position
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.