Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Virgin Galactic
- Req No.
- Regular Full-Time
Who we are
The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 400 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
TSC is seeking an Analyst / Engineer with a background in failure analysis to join TSC’s Product Assurance team. This team currently consists of Reliability, Maintainability and Product Safety. This analyst will be responsible to develop one or more of the following: RCM/MSG-3 analysis, Maintainability / Reliability analysis and programs, preventive maintenance limitations for TSC developed vehicles including but not limited to Whiteknight 2 (WK2) and Spaceship 2 (SS2).
- Works with project and engineering to perform MSG-3 analysis (environmental deterioration/accidental damage ratings for structures and zones, functional FMEA’s for systems and powerplant) of existing, new, and modified systems related to company vehicles.
- Develop preventive maintenance and/or reliability programs for vehicle operations and perform on-going optimizations to programs and vehicle requirements.
- Develop MMEL, Event Triggered, On-Condition, and Interval strategies.
- Develop and update Inspection and Maintenance Requirements Manual, Maintenance Planning Data (MPD) documents and Operational-MPD (Pre-Flight, Post-Flight, etc.) documents.
- Participate in Verification & Validation activities of preventive maintenance development.
- Provides technical support to engineering, production, maintenance management and technical personnel.
- Knowledge of Reliability processes including collecting data, developing metrics, and conducting trend analysis.
What you bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) or related field and typically 5 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Related work experience includes work in any of the STEM fields.
- -Or- Degree in a related field of study and typically 5 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- -Or- Work Experience in related positions such as system support, RMS/RAMT, technical / maintenance operations or planning, logistics support, technical orders / maintenance manuals, A&P mechanic / technician, or work in any technology / aerospace fields.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn of one of the following software packages: Windchill Quality Solutions, Reliability Workbench, CATIA, Reliasoft MPC or other MSG-3.
- Knowledge with one or more maintainability standards such as RCM, MSG-3, SAE JA1011/SAE JA1012, NAVAIR 00-25-403, MIL-STD-3034, DOD 4151.22.
- Knowledge of Reliability standards and best practice analysis methods that apply to "complex systems" in an operational environment to affect predictive and preventive maintenance.
- Ability to read electrical and mechanical engineering drawings, to include schematics, wiring diagrams and install/assembly drawings.
- Knowledge of maintenance program and/or reliability program development.
- Knowledge of the failure and root cause and resolution processes.
- Detailed oriented with excellent analytical skills.
- Knowledge of the interrelationship of the various RMS analysis techniques.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of system safety methods ARP4761 or Mil-Std-882C or E is a plus.
- Knowledge / Experience with design for maintainability / reliability / testability is a plus.
- Knowledge of engineering Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) systems is a plus.
- Prior experience in aviation maintenance is a plus.
- FAA Airframe & Powerplant (A&P) or equivalent is a plus.
- Experience developing and conducting maintainability/reliability testing is a plus.
- Experience with Visual Basic, Visual Studio, SQL Server, MS Access, and databases is a plus.
- Team player with excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Must be self-motivated and capable of working with minimal supervision (depending upon experience), adaptable to changing environments and handle multiple tasks and/or projects simultaneously.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.