Washington Elementary School District #6
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Library & Media Tech
at Washington Elementary School District #6
Pay Grade: 4125
Position Control: 3957
Accountable To: Principal
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Creation/Revision Date: March 20, 2018
Under general direction, incumbent(s) is responsible for daily library operations and handles the distribution, collection, inventory, maintenance, and purchasing of books and other library materials. Incumbent is responsible for distribution, collection, and inventory of textbook materials and technology. Incumbant(s) informs patrons, including teachers and students, on the use and function of all media supported in the library. Incumbent(s) works with students on special projects, recommends books appropriate to student grade level, and encourages reading as a life-long habit.
- Works with students individually or in groups on projects and assignments based on direction from school administration and teachers. Monitors student behavior and enforces school and classroom standards and policies.
- Recommends books and other materials appropriate to student grade level, student interests, and to support assigned projects. Introduces students to quality literature, information literacy and research skills during scheduled class time in the library.
- Supports classroom curriculum by supplying or recommending books and digital resources for teacher and student use.
- Handles the distribution and collection of books, technology devices, and other materials. Checks materials out to students and faculty using Destiny Library Management application.
- Shelves books and stores other materials after check in.
- Repairs damaged books and removes from the collection outdated and damaged books.
- Handles timely distribution of textbook materials to all faculty and the district textbook center.
- Reconciles returned classroom inventory sheets and assists teachers with locating missing materials.
- Analyzes and evaluates the library collection and materials by examining Destiny reports regarding collection age, content, and use. Researches and recommends to site leadership new books to purchase, supplies, furniture, and equipment necessary to the optimal functioning of the library.
- Processes new books by adding to the Destiny database. Prepares new materials with appropriate labels and barcodes prior to circulation.
- Conducts annual physical inventory of all library materials including classroom technology devices and other equipment (e.g. instruments) tracked in Destiny. Conducts year-end inventory of all textbook materials on site. Keeps records of overdue, lost, and damaged materials.
- Determines appropriate fines, generates overdue and fine notices for parents. Collects funds for fine payments following district accounting procedures.
- Supports classroom technology by assisting teachers with operation of equipment, basic problem troubleshooting, and posting/sharing related information.
- Recruits and oversees volunteers to assist in the library. Conducts book fairs and works with PTO on book fairs. Organizes or assists with organizing school-wide events such as Read Across America Day.
- Cultivates a positive and welcoming library. Maintains physical and clean library space, including arranging tables for student activities, setting up space for teacher or student needs, reorganizing space to accommodate library enrichment activities.
To be eligible for this position, an applicant must meet the following required qualifications. Verification of these required qualifications is necessary.
- High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) prior to being hired, Completion of 60 College Credit Hours, Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university, or successfully passed an Arizona State approved paraprofessional test (offered by WESD at no cost and must pass prior to being hired, Please contact HR for more information)
- Must receive CPR certification within thirty days of hire date.
It is preferred that applicant possesses the following preferred qualifications; however, the following qualifications are not required to be eligible for this position.
- One year of experience working with children;
- One year of experience working in a library.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
- Experience working in a collaborative environment;
- Willingness to learn about district-approved technology and software;
- Demonstrating child development theories;
- Knowing basic mathematical concepts;
- Working with children;
- Applying District purchasing and accounting procedures;
- Demonstrating appropriate techniques and procedures;
- Facilitating small group activities in the learning environment;
- Reviewing completed work assignments;
- Preparing library for various activities;
- Reading and following lesson plans designed from small group activities;
- Applying school rules, policies and procedures;
- Demonstrates skills and techniques in order to aid in student learning.
- Engaging and encouraging communication skills while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, etc. to exchange information.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.
The working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Contact Information
Tuesday, December 17, 2019 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)